I have found that it is important to ask the following questions when trying to leave an old habit or acquiring a new habit:
- What do I gain by doing this habit?
- What do I lose by doing this habit?
- What could I possibly lose by not doing this habit?
- What could I possibly gain by not doing this habit?
- Which of your values does this habit violate or contradict?
- At its place, what would you do to support your important values?
And it is not necessary to make an effort to break on old habit, so long as we get an image (of doing the new habit or not doing the old habit and seeing/feeling all the advantages that come out of it) in our minds. Merely trying to break an old habit by willpower is inviting failure. So, be patient with yourself.