Randy Pausch, a professor at Carnegie Mellon University is diagnosed with Pancreas cancer in 2006. He might probably pull off for some more months before he is survived by his wife and three children.
Yet, Randy with his indomitable courage and fiercely determination has achieved a great lot things. He has achieved his dreams and he has helped other children realize their dreams. He is known to have bridged the gap between Computer Science and Arts. He is an extremely funny and enthusiastic person. Now how do I know all these? There is Randy’s last lecture available as a Google video. It goes for a couple of hours and Randy in that lecture explains what were his childhood dreams, how he perceived them, how he has helped other perceive them concluding with the lessons he learned in his life. I have summarized some points below.
He gives us some brilliant nuggets that give a rather healthy, vibrant perspective towards life:
- When you are screwing yourself up and when nobody says anything about it, then they have given up on you. When they comment, it means they really care about you.
- Experience is what you get when you did not get what you wanted.
- Most of what we learn, we learn indirectly.
- Fundamentals and hard work.
- Obstacles are to stop people who don’t want things badly enough. (What a positive way to look at life!!)
- Don’t complain, just work harder.
- Be good at something, it makes you valuable.
He talks repeatedly about head fakes. That is what you get to learn indirectly. For example, though he did not achieve his dream of getting into NFL, he did learn some very important things about life (some of them summarized in the above set of bullets). That is why sports are encouraged.
To recognize Randy, CMU has named a foot bridge between the computer science department and the arts department as Randy Pausch Memorial Foot Bridge to truly reflect his contributions towards bridging both fields.
Randy, you are a great man to look up to and you remain as a source of endless inspiration for the generations to come!!.